The Evidensia hospital Hart of Brabant is a state of the art, 24/7 referral and emergency hospital with 24 h. nursing care. We offer specialist referrals in emergency/critical care, soft tissue and orthopedic surgery, neurology/neurosurgery, internal medicine, diagnostic imaging, dermatology and dentistry. We currently employ EBVS boarded veterinary specialists (https://ebvs.eu/specialists) in Neurology/Neurosurgery, Surgery (soft tissue and orthopedics), Internal medicine, Diagnostic Imaging, Emergency/Critical Care and Anesthesia. We also have a very active exotics department with two vets seeing all different species (birds, reptiles and small mammals).
We have one of the best diagnostic imaging departments in the Netherlands with a 1.5 Tesla MRI, 64 slice CT, digital x-ray, dental x-ray, two ultrasound units and fluoroscopy.
Our brand-new surgery suit includes three fully equipped theaters, with one additional dentistry suit. To help our patients to recover after surgery we have an intensive care unit for the immediate post op care and three physiotherapists managing the rehabilitation for the long term aided by a large rehabilitation suit with an underwater treadmill.
Duration of the internship: 1 year
Number of positions: 6
After a successful rotating internship with four interns in 2019/20, we are this year expanding our training program to six positions.
Who are we looking for: We are looking for highly motivated young professionals who are aiming to pursue a specialist career or who want to deliver a high level of first opinion work. You are recently graduated, preferably with 1-2 years of first line experience.
Goals of the internship:
- To recruit good, young veterinarians, giving them an accelerated basic training program and thereby preparing them for future specialist training programs (Residencies).
- To bridge the gap between university and working life.
- To stimulate a climate of continued learning in our specialist hospitals.
- Salary € 2500 per month
- The interns can attend Evidensia Academy lectures free of charge.
- Wetlabs for hands on – surgical procedures, dental treatments etc.
- € 1000 to use for continuing education, international courses/congresses etc.
- There is a possibility to directly sign a three year contract which would guarantee a successful applicant two years full time job at one of Evidensia’s larger clinics in the Netherlands following the completion of the internship year. A three year contract would come with a lease car for the entire three year period.
This internship is primarily designed to prepare veterinarians for high-quality service in practice or advanced specialty training. The primary purpose of an internship is to provide a sound educational program for the intern with a hope and intention to employ them at one of our Evidensia clinics/hospitals after successfully completing the internship. If the interns are able and have the intention of seeking a residency program after completion of the internship, this will be endorsed by Evidensia. Completion of an internship also makes the candidates eligible for one of Evidensias 3 year, differentiation training (https://evidensia-groep.nl/evidensia-academy).
Standard training program
- At the start of the internship a 2-week intensive training/induction will be held before the rotations starts.
- One week every 6 weeks consists of night shifts where the intern (together with a nurse) covers the nights (22-08), always with a more experienced colleague on “second call”. Following the nightshifts there will always be a week off as compensation.
- Rotations of 6 weeks in:
- Soft tissue surgery
- Emergency and critical care
- Dentistry and Dermatology (joint rotation)
- Internal medicine
- Free choice of rotation
- 5 weeks paid holidays.
- Weekly 1 h. lecture of a specialist or senior vet in a variety of topics (between 8-9 every Thursday).
- Twice weekly, extended patient rounds (between 8-9 every Monday and Wednesday).
- Lunch/Breakfast with presentations of 2 interns every 6 weeks (at the end of rotation).
For questions regarding the internship you can contact:
Niklas Bergknut DVM, PhD, Dipl. ECVN
Head of Neurology and Neurosurgery at Evidensia NL
European and RCVS recognised Specialist in Veterinary Neurology
T: +31 6 11 53 38 99
Gineke Peetsold MSc, DVM
Differentiatie training Neurology and Neurosurgery
Internship program coordinator
T: +31 6 50 27 65 27